Bosa - West Coast of Sardinia
by tourist - 23/8/2010
Some impressions and pictures from Bosa Cittą and Bosa Marina. These are a sailor's notes!
Temo river mouth seen from North side, opposite side the Isola Rossa tower
|Bosa is a nice town on the River Temo, facing the West coast of Sardinia between the more famous Alghero on the North and bigger city Oristano on the South.
People wishing to visit Bosa from Alghero can drive down the coastal and panoramic road Alghero-Bosa, a 50 minutes drive or more if you like to enjoy the views.
From all other locations in Sardinia you will most likely be driving along the S.S. 131 state road, either direction, then turning at the Macomer North or South crossroads along the S.S. 131. The drive from Macomer crossroads to Bosa can take about 45 minutes.
Well.. if you are sailing you would be looking for the Temo river mouth, just a bit North from the Isola Rossa tower - where it is possible to moor inside the river on the Bosa Cittą side, or you would be looking for the Bosa Marina Beach Bay, entering just a bit South from the Isola Rossa tower where it is possible to anchor in a well protected and good holding place, all year round, and where it is possible to moor in a nice place but only during the summer time as the marina there opens seasonally.
If you are entering the river mouth to moor at one of the two marinas inside the river you should ask the marina how to enter the river mouth - i.e. which signals to consider to avoid ongoing works just outside the river mouth - because there are new breakwaters being built to protect the river entrance and allow boats entering the river with any weather conditions.
At present it is still difficult or impossible to enter the river mouth with strong Westerly / Northern Westerly winds but it is getting better as the works advance.
Once in Bosa you will find what an historic small town on a river and with a seaside beach extention can offer.
Both Bosa Marina and Bosa Cittą have good restaurants and pizzerias, some of the ones on the beach front in Bosa Marina may be open only during the summer.
Bosa Marina has a very nice beach ideal for families as well.
Bosa Cittą and its riversides are a good place for the evening time out and for shopping and eating out at all times of the day.
The historic town is worth a visit to view the narrow streets and hold houses up the hill with the Malaspina Castle located at the top of everything else.
If you fancy some more remote but unspoilt coastal views there are nice places along the Bosa-Alghero road, from one to four miles North of Bosa, such as:
- Casa del Vento or House of the wind. A place where it is possible to eat and to reach a rocky unspoilt coastal area.
- Abbadrucche or Sweet water. Another unspoilt rocky coastal area, now with a car access and parking.
- Cumpoltittu, no translation to my knowledge. A little bay with rocks and a small beach, park the car at the top along the main road and walk down, trainers required. This is a place to stop by for a swim for boaters as it is protected from Mistral.
- Torre Argentina. Umhh. ask how to reach when in Bosa!
- Poltu Manago better known as Manago. Park along the main road and then a good walk, good shoes please! Not sure if still possible to go down to a certain stage, near the sea level, with a car but in case it has to be an off-road and a good one. Nice and good shelter from Mistral for boaters wishing to stop by for a swim.
- Capo Marrargiu. For boaters only I believe, again a place protected from Mistral to stop for a swim during the day.
Temo river bank with Bosa Marina wide beach and bay view, boat berthings near the tower
Motor boats entering the Temo river in Bosa
Boats advance in the Temo river towards the Marinas in the river North bank
Temo river South bank and great view of Bosa Marina beach
A bit further inside the Temo river with the fishermen quay and Bosa Diving floating base
Not far inside the river, the two marinas on the North bank and ongoing works on the South bank
Marina Pinna has a fully equipped boatyard, hidden to view, Marina Darsena is at the far end
Material and barges used to build the new breakwaters outside the Temo river mouth
The new bridge, Bosa Cittą, historic city on the hill side, Malaspina Castle at the top of the hill
A view of the new breakwater under construction - August 2010 - outside of river mouth North
|Holiday house in Bosa.|
Sardinia | Trips | Register Free | Add or Edit Trips
ByGuide.com "Sardinia's holidays and travel guide"
Copyright © 2000 - 2015 BYGUIDE.com